Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain OST

2010-07-16 17:42:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain OST
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Renee Carlisle" <rcarlisle AT serverwarecorp DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:42:39 -0500
Renee,

We're testing OST as I write this !!  We've actually been testing OST and the
new dedupe in NBU 7.0.  We've been running our exchange backups to an OST
storage unit and have seen higher throughput speeds compared to our regular
CIFS backups in the limited testing we've done (40mb./sec average compared to
20-25mb/sec). We're leaning towards it being worth the licensing fee to shorten
our backup windows, even by a small amount.

The built in dedupe works great for windows OS backups but didn’t work too good
for our exchange backups  (the default fragment size worked against us with
exchange data).  Also the throughput to disk attached to the media server is
much higher than we get to the Data Domain appliances (we hit a peak of
70mb/sec on some of those backups) but they are faster disks so we'd expect
this.

Our testing seems to be showing that the OST will be used on data that we
continue to send to the data domains but we'll be able to push a lot of our
backups through a couple of additional media servers to some dumb disk, using a
mix of client side and media server dedupe.

I'll update some more when we have some more testing completed.

Mark Glazerman
Desk: 314-889-8282
Cell: 618-520-3401
 please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to