Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)

2010-04-25 18:50:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)
From: "William Brown" <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 00:49:49 +0200
DSSUs are OK but not as useful as e.g. AdvancedDisk pools for staging.  The
algorithm for how it selects items to delete is very different.  I think you
need to turn the question on its head.  Disk staging is not useful if your
backups  (including incremental) can always stream the drive.  Ours cannot,
Windows VMs are just too slow.  Disk staging allows the slow backups to be
decoupled from the tape drives.  You don't have to dream up multiplexing levels
that are different in full backups and incrementals; I doubt even if we set MPX
to 32 the Windows VM incrementals could stream the LTO3/4, and LTO5 started
shipping.

Using staging, disk does not care how slow the data arrives.  When it destages,
you get proper use of the tape drives.  More importantly, the drives are not
hogged by slow show-shine jobs, leaving other jobs queuing and in some cases
hitting the end of the window. With SSO shared drives this can be painful.  So,
what I'm saying is don't just think about your fast clients, think how to
prevent the slow ones being a pain.

I'd even suggest considering sending FULL backups direct to tape and the INCR
via staging.  With INCR the time taken to tee up the tape drive can be out of
proportion to the backup duration, and it allocates the drive before it even
starts to decide what files to backup...which may be very few.  Backups to disk
start running so much faster, no mount time.  So for a backup that runs for < 5
minutes tape is painful.

But more broadly, identify the slow backups that hog the drives, and if the
total size will fit your staging, do it.  Destaging to tape makes the tape
drives sing (OK, poetic licence there).  But you can use fewer drives and that
means less $$ on annual maintenance.

William D L Brown