Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)

2010-04-25 15:14:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Architectural question (staging)
From: Victor Engle <victor.engle AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:14:43 -0400
Hello List,

Just wanted to get some opinions about whether disk staging units are
worthwhile. My backup server has two BasicDisk staging units with the
storage units configured such that the data goes to disk and is then
moved to tape. I have a tape library with four LTO-3 drives connected
via FC. So what I'm wondering is, since the LTO drives are reasonably
fast, and since I'm writing the data ultimately to tape anyway, would
it be better to just write directly to tape. The disk is just old
fashioned spinning disk with no de-duplication so there are
operational costs for the disks. All tape and disk storage units are
local to the backup server. I'm thinking it would be better to add LTO
drives and eliminate the disk for now and maybe later add a
de-duplicating disk unit.

Under what circumstances does it make sense to stage data on disk. I
would appreciate hearing what your thoughts and experiences are with
regard to disk staging.

Thanks,
Vic