Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired media not returning to SCRATCH & Vault

2009-09-16 05:23:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Expired media not returning to SCRATCH & Vault
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:19:31 -0400
If you are on NBU 6 consider a couple of possibilities.

There are some things that require you to have both short and
fully-qualified names in the EMM database.  I could imagine a database
error if that kind of lookup failed.  There is a command to add aliases
for media servers.

nbemmcmd -machinealias -addalias -alias <string> -machinename <string>
-machinetype media

or similar....

Another thing to look at is technote 280696, about Vault and volume group
names.  It's possible I think that if you had a lot of offsite media the
volume group names might not match, though it's along shot.  Use nbemmcmd
-listmedia  to see what's in the database.

William D L Brown

veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 15/09/2009 20:02:24:

> On Tuesday 15 September 2009 04:22:33 pm Tim Hoke wrote:
> > When a tape is suspended, it won't be used for any write operations
until
> > it expires.  When all the images expire, cleanup operations will run
and it
> > should become un-suspended and made available for use.  This differs
from
> > frozen in that frozen media require manual intervention (even after
all
> > images expire).
>
> Thanks for clarifying this!
>
> > So, the first course of action is to determine why the media isn't
becoming
> > expired. 1. When your cleanup jobs run, what is the exit status code?
Zero