Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Is anyone using a HP MSL 8096 tape library?

2009-01-26 15:25:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Is anyone using a HP MSL 8096 tape library?
From: <judy_hinchcliffe AT administaff DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:08:52 -0600
I have 2 TS3310's

One is just the control module with 2 drives
One is fully expanded with 18 drives. (using SSO for 5 media servers)
All LTO4 tape drives

I love the GUI interface that allows me to see and do things in the
library from my desk.

I had a little bit of learning as I went from a STK-L700 direct
connected scsi to the TS3310 san attached.
But the setup was not bad once I understood the vtl library.
Got the A-Tape drivers installed on my AIX server, and the ovpass to
work.

No reflection on IBM but the only thing I don't like is the time it
takes to inject tapes from the MAP.  On the STK the Hand was lighting
fast.  On the TS3310 it takes longer for it to move all the tapes from
the MAP into the library and update Netbackup.
It moves tapes quickly to the tape drives, just slow on the MAP.

All-in-all I like it, once I got it set up it has been running like a
charm (now I see that I have just jinxed myself, lets hope it keeps
running).