Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp vs. SAN Media Server

2008-12-12 16:35:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp vs. SAN Media Server
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:24:12 +0000
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 02:23:26PM -0600, Randy Samora wrote:
> Hi Kids,
>
> I have a Windows environment and NBU 6.5.2a.  I have a SAN Media Server
> that houses and backs up my SQL dumps.  Those backups run the longest
> but by far the fastest.  My SAN guys purchased a NetApp device and have
> decided to have the SQL dumps write directly to the NetApp device and
> implement NDMP for backups.  I have absolutely no experience with NDMP
> so can someone out in NBU land tell me if my backups are going to be
> slower :(   faster  :) somewhere in between  :|?

Yes they will.  :-)

NDMP isn't "faster" or "slower", it's just different.  In many
situations it will be faster because you can avoid some bottlenecks, but
it depends on how you set things up.  NDMP can write directly to a tape,
go over networks, through other machines, etc.

Network appliance filers will prefer to schedule user data service over
NDMP service.  So if you have a filer that's running low on horsepower
(but still very zippy with serving data), you can find that NDMP jobs
crawl.

But most of the time the same things that make NDMP slow make other
backups slow (lots of tiny files, overloaded networks)

--
Darren