Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp vs. SAN Media Server

2008-12-13 09:58:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetApp vs. SAN Media Server
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:42:04 -0600
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Jon Bousselot <jon-bousselot AT pacbell DOT net> wrote:

> With snapshots enabled on the filer, the chances are pretty good you
> won't ever have to do a restore for your SQL admins.
>     .../Ed

Alternatively, you could pony up for the Snap Manager for MS-SQL
license, and you can make your DBA's do the backups AND restores.  It
links the process of quiescing the database with the netapp snapshot.
Some assembly required.

I was going to suggest that but it assumes that the SQL database is on the NetApp and the OP didn't say that - just that the dump files where on the filer.

And since MS SQL doesn't like CIFS shares for its database, you're stuck presenting the disk via iSCSI or FC so that limits the customer.

We're just getting into the process of putting databases on our filers.  Really, really sweet.  The DBAs are drooling more than my basset hound.
.../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org