Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup Slow during out of office hours

2008-08-11 09:41:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup Slow during out of office hours
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Iker Gonzalez" <ik.gonzalez AT asimag DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:15:01 -0400
Unfortunately, the percentage complete backup bar is about as reliable a Microsoft's file copy bar.  You know, the 10 seconds remaining file copy that takes 30 minutes?  If you want accurate data you need to open up perfmon and get your KBps there.  There are hundreds of things that could cause a backup to slow down.  Is this a file server with millions of small files?  Did disk utilization go up after hours because of running processes?  Have you tried multiple streams versus single stream?  If you kick off the backup before going home will it still be 20% in the morning or only 2%?  You are going to have to do some investigating.

Good luck!

-Jonathan