Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] TIR files on 6.5.1

2008-05-20 17:44:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] TIR files on 6.5.1
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:28:04 -0600
Greetings,

I just wanted to verify something with regards to TIR files.  I think I may have some corrupt files that are helping create larger than expected image catalog files.  We normally run a full backup on Friday.  My plan is to get rid of the old TIR files and let the full backup create a new file.  I believe I did this in the past, but don't remember since it has been at least 5 years since I did it.  I shouldn't need to do anything other than delete or move the /usr/openv/netbackup/tir_info directory on the clients correct?

I had previously posted about why the catalog images for our hpux servers were so large.  I haven't heard anything back from a support call I opened but I did decide to find out if the compress was working and how old the files were when it started compressing them.  I found nothing was compressed.  I then found that it is looking for /usr/bin/compress which did not get put on this new build (RHEL4.5).  I was able to get compress/uncompress on the server and it did compress and saved quite a bit of space.  At least the file system should not fill up.  The image directories are still more than 3x larger than the old 5.0 server which is why I'm thinking the TIR files may be hosed up.

Thanks,

Jeff
--

Jeff Cleverley