Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups

2008-04-08 10:28:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:08:08 -0500

I think I know the answer but I need to know for sure.

Months (years) ago, when the VSP files were getting orphaned and there was talk of having me driven out into the country and “dealt with,” I placed all of my clients in the Master Server properties and checked the box “Enable Windows Open File Backups for this client.”  That resolved my problem at the time. Now I want to start using VSS and I have a couple of questions.

1.    If I want to start using VSS on my old clients, I know I need to enable VSS on the client itself but what happens at the Master?  Do I check the Open File Backups for that client and select VSS instead of VSP?

2.    What is the default behavior?  If I deleted all of the clients from the Client Attributes tab of the Master Server properties, what would occur on those clients in regards to open file backups?

3.    If I bring a new client on line with the default install, does it do open file backups by default?

It appears that for each client I want to use open file backups, I have to add the client to the Master Server properties and then configure the open file options.  That’s easy to do but I’ve always had doubts because it doesn’t seem logical. I would think everyone wants to backup all of their data including open files if possible.  Why would NBU make you go through extra steps for what should be a default behavior?

Today, when I add a new client, I enable VSS on all volumes of the client, add the client to the Master Server properties, Enable Open File Backups is checked and I configure the options.  Am I running the setup correctly or is there an easier way?  What options does the client have if I don’t add the client to the Master Server properties?

I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any insight you can throw my way.

Randy