Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] A cautionary tale about media vendors.

2008-04-08 09:59:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] A cautionary tale about media vendors.
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:38:21 -0400
We had a big legal freeze here with some several thousand media held.
My management tried to save some coin by going with recycled media.  We
got *tons* of media with mount errors and freezes all the time.  Other
people's data?  Oh yeah.  Supposedly the media had been "re-certified"
through some process and when we shipped 50 bad media back to them they
thanked us for showing them the problems and they supposedly "fixed"
their media processing "problem."  In the end I don't think the savings
on the individual media countered the number that went bad (and were not
replaced.)  I did however get a wonderful Christmas package from the
company including a mass produced hat, lunch box and umbrella.  They
promptly went into the trash.

Long story short - "pre-owned" "recycled" or otherwise "new to you"
media isn't a deal at all. (Unless you love free crap.)

-Jonathan