Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] tape limit?

2008-01-30 03:59:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] tape limit?
From: "Ysbrand Bergman" <ysbrand AT usa DOT net>
To: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>, "Wilkinson, Tim" <Tim.Wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>, Curtis Preston <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:46:19 +0100
Well,

Let me add some comments:

The SL500 is a modular library that comes in different capacities. The usable
capacity depends on the physical configuration (number and type of modules) as
well as the logical configuration (licensed number of slots (hardware
license), designation of the CAP slots).

Also, the number of the slots that you appear to see in the library, is not
the number of slots that you can use. This is not only limited by the licensed
number of slots, but also limited by the physical design of the library.

Let me quote the manual a bit:

Slot counts are based on the following assumptions:
• Capacity includes reserved slots for diagnostic and cleaning cartridges.
• Reserved slots (for cleaning and diagnostic cartridges) are located only
in the base module on the left side as you open the front door. These slots
can be configured for data cartridges if desired.
• The base module has a 5-slot CAP; the drive expansion module (DEM) and
cartridge expansion module (CEM) each have two 5-slot CAPs. These slots can be
configured for data cartridges if desired.
• When DEMs and CEMs are installed in the same library, the DEMs are above
all of the CEMs.

The lowest module in the rack requires installation of the floor. The floor
limits the distance the robot can travel, which makes the bottom row(s) in the
lowest module inaccessible:
• Base module: -16 slots
• DEM: -7 slots
• CEM (below another CEM): -16 slots (-10 slots on the lowest CEM, -6 slots
on the CEM above it)
• CEM (below base module or DEM): -16 slots

So, if you have for instance a BASE module only (which actually sits on top),
it appears that you've got:
- 7 rows of 9 slots each
- 1 row of 3 slots
- 5 cap slots
But
- The bottom 2 slots of each row (8*2) can only be used when you add a module
below it (physical limitation).
- Your vendor might have given you a discount by reducing the number of slots
to (for instance) 30 instead of the maximum 50 (logical limitation).

I normally recommend to our customer base, to use the CAP for cartridge
insertion, in this way you can make sure that you are not putting cartridges
in inaccessible slots.

If you want to sort out the maximum physical limitation of your current
hardware I would like you to refer to the SL500 user guide, it has a pretty
good write up on this.

Regards

Ysbrand

Ysbrand Bergman