Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Dilemma...need some info.

2007-11-08 15:18:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Dilemma...need some info.
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
To: "Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:03:03 -0800
Having used Commvault to perform a disaster recovery exercise, I can
offer my own personal experiences as advice you might consider when
looking at leaving NetBackup.

Examine the user interface. On the CV versions I have used (5.9 and
6.1), everything opens in a new window, and for whatever reason, it does
not remember your column settings. It has been accurately described to
me as "death by 1000 windows", and that's pretty annoying if you are
familiar with the NB interface on Unix, or you appreciate a healthy
array of powerful command line utilities. There is a fat client, and a
web interface which

Look closely at the DR model. If you follow their recommended models for
implementing DR and doing it properly, you will see how it compares to
the NB product, and if you deviate from their documented models, expect
a world of pain and suffering. The Achilles heel of commvault is the
MS-SQL database which is dumped to a flat file frequently and protected
to disk or tape depending on your needs. The main controller is called
the Commcell, and it is licensed by IP address, so you cannot bring up a
copy of the commcell on the same network at the same time.

As far as I know, you cannot recover all data types from your tapes
without first reconstructing the Commcell. The metadata cannot be
rebuilt from a pile of tapes like you can do with NB, so to protect your
environment you need to protect the active database and its dump files
with the highest priority.

Commvault has the features and function you expect from enterprise
backup sofware, and is currently in the same Gartner magic quadrant
square as NB, but should be evaluated before making a decision.

I personally like the NetBackup product better, for the UI and the DR model.

-Jon