Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Dilemma...need some info.

2007-11-08 12:59:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Dilemma...need some info.
From: RMajor AT vericenter DOT com
To: "Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 11:45:46 -0600

First, I'd say that you shouldn't judge a product just because it's made by one vendor or another. I'm sure your management team won't like it when you tell them you don't want to support it because "it's Microsoft".

So, with that said, what's the extra cost of going to another product? You and/or other admins will have to learn the product and possibly go to training -what is this cost?
Does this product support libraries and will it 'share' the library with NBU or another backup product?
I have't heard of this product so I assume it's relatively new. Many on this list don't even trust GA releases of NBU versions and this product has been around for many years.

I would really look at what the reasons are for moving off of the backup product and attack those. Just because it's too expensive isn't a good enough reason for me (but then I'm not a manager). If it's too expensive, try to negotiate with your reseller. Also try to explain to your manager that NBU may be pricey, but it does the job very well. Data protection (the act, not the product) is rarely taken seriously until there is a disaster. Play up the fact that you trust NBU, it's tried and true, and you can get data restored quicker.

Also, what support does MS offer for this product? In my experience, when there are backup/restore problems, Veritas is pretty amenable to assisting until the problem is resolved. Will MS give you this kind of support when you need it most?

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP
Sr. Data Assurance Engineer
(281) 584-4693
VeriCenter, Inc.

"Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

11/08/2007 10:59 AM

<Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Dilemma...need some info.

Well, I have a dilemma and need my fella NBU guys to provide me some ammo.  My management is looking into alternative backup solutions.  I am ok with looking at other vendors that specialize in one or two products…we are looking into CommVault and dare I say it…Microsoft’s Data Protection Manager.  I saw a demo of DPM quite some time ago and almost instantly was not a fan.  It is a total Microsoft support platform so it will work well with other MS applications.  At the moment I cannot remember all of the down falls I thought it had but the few I can remember are:

Won’t backup Oracle
Won’t backup SAP
Won’t backup ESX hosts

And while I was in this demo, I drifted off since I really did not realize that management was seriously considering it.  And as most Executive managers, they see the bottom line.  Their main driving focus is the fact that since we pay so much for MOM and SMS, we would be getting DPM for free.  GREAT!  But my philosophy is you get what you paid for.

So I reach out to all of you to help a guy out and start throwing me items that I can punch holes into DPM.  I really, really do not want to support another Microsoft product.  I beg all of you, please help me out.

My environment is mostly MS servers, Oracle, SQL, VMware, SAP, Exchange, some UNIX.

Thanks
Dan Cruice
Deloitte Technology Service
Deloitte & Touche Tohmatsu
Direct: +1 610-479-5179
Fax: +1 610-479-6179
E-mail: dcruice AT deloitte DOT com
www.deloitte.com

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. _______________________________________________