Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sending email via Windows SMTP Service?

2007-10-17 21:04:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sending email via Windows SMTP Service?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:52:14 +0000
Sorry, I missed the initial posts on this thread...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 11:24:48PM +0000, justin AT postgresql DOT org wrote:
> > Have looked at Blat, but the client (gov) refuses to touch anything
> > without a support organisation they have vetted behind it.

Does that mean you can't use perl or other scripting languages, or would
they be supported through your department (as the script author) or
through an external organization (like ActiveState that will support the
language)?

> > Saw mention on this mailing list of setting up mailing out using the
> > Windows SMTP Service, but my guys are unsure if this is really feasible.

My understanding is that the SMTP service is only an MTA, and you
probably already have one of those in your environment (a mail server).
What you need is a (command line) mail client.  That's what blat is.
You can replace it with any other suitable mail client.  If the Windows
SMTP service also provides a command line client, then you could use it.

> Guessing other people simply skip over the issue of having an
> unsupported component in their infrastructure. :(

In some sense, yes.  I would feel more comfortable with the knowledge
that there appear to be quite a few alternatives for this component and
it's easily replaced than to use one that is "supported" by a company,
but not otherwise widely used.  I realize that others (or at least some
organizations) do not share that philosophy.

I'm not primarily a windows person, so I haven't checked on what is
supported out there.  Googling for 'windows mail client "command line"'
turns up a lot of stuff, several free, several not.  The first one on my
results page is a commercial package.

I'd be tempted to write a quick filter in perl using Mail::Sender
because I already use a lot of scripts in the environment, but I don't
know if that's an option for you.