Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup and VxFS named data streams

2007-08-13 06:28:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup and VxFS named data streams
From: Ben <veritas-bu AT benandi DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:05:40 +0100
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of using NetBackup with VxFS named data streams?

The NetBackup documentation (v5.1) says that "NetBackup backs up extended
attributes files and named data streams as part of normal file system
backups"

But as hard as I try, I can't get it to work.

On the client I have:

Linux 2.6.9-55.ELsmp (RHEL4)
VxFS 4.1
NetBackup-RedHat2.4 5.1

On the server I have:

Linux 2.4.21-15.0.4.EL (White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0)
NetBackup-RedHat2.4 5.1

I create a file with a number of streams using the vxfs_nattr API

I perform a 'full' backup using a 'standard' policy, backing up the parent
directory of my files, directly to disk on the server.

Backup and restore both execute successfully.
However, the streams are missing from the restored files.

When I examine the backup tar file (using cat), the stream data is not
present, so I presume the problem is with the backup not the restore.

Is there an obvious mistake I'm making?
Does anybody have experience of this working?

Thanks in advance,

Ben