Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Identify drives in use

2007-06-19 11:50:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Identify drives in use
From: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
To: <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>, "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 16:05:28 +0100
If I'm not mistaken, NetBackup will unload the tape (rewind offline it)
& then fail to move it from the drive back to the slot.  So although
vmoprcmd will list the tape, "mt -f ... status" will report "no tape
loaded or drive offline".  You could possibly periodically check each
drive & work out from this.  It's a bit messy though, what happens if
you catch a drive that NetBackup is in the process of successfully
unloading?

If Solaris, you should be able to check /var/adm/messages for relevant
messages to say it can't put the tape away.  (Doesn't NetBackup down the
drive anyway?).  Or somewhere in the NetBackup logs (sorry I don't know
where off the top of my head).

Sorry, only vague ideas.  I did something with a similar robot where I
ran a script from cron every hour to check and correct for any
mismatches between NetBackup and the tape robot, using various options
to vmupdate.  Also as the Ops changed the tapes by opening the robot &
moving tapes, part of the script to control that also checked that slots
were kept free for tapes currently in the drives.  Possibly not quite
what you're after but I'm happy to post the scripts if you think they
could be of use.

cheers, Phil

Egg is a trading name of the Egg group of companies which includes:
Egg plc (reg no 2448340), Egg Financial Intermediation Ltd (reg no
3828289), and Egg Banking plc (reg no 2999842). Egg Banking plc and
Egg Financial Intermediation Ltd are authorised and regulated by
the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and are entered in the FSA
register under numbers 205621 and 309551 respectively. These
members of the Egg group are registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: Citigroup Centre, Canada Square, London E14 5LB.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have received
it in error, please return the message to the sender by replying to
it and then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-mails are not
necessarily secure. The Egg group of companies do not accept
responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission
of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and
any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No
responsibility is accepted by the Egg group of companies in this
regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other
checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify any contract.