Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Identify drives in use

2007-06-19 10:05:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Identify drives in use
From: Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:33:05 +0100
Justin Piszcz wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Dave Markham wrote:
>

>> Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>> How to see what drives are in use? vmoprcmd -d ds
>>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Problem with this command is it shows tapes in all the drives due to the
>> problem i mentioned in my mail. Tapes are in drives due to not being
>> able to move back to destination slots. I need to confirm the drives
>> which are in use for the current job(s) running. Normally its just one
>> job running see and as im using ITC 2 drives will be in use. I need to
>> determine these so i can then safely move tapes out of the other drives.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>>> I therefore sometimes need to manually move the tapes to another slot
>>> using robtest. Issue is a lot of the time the backup job is still
>>> running and i dont want to unload the tapes in use so i need to
>>>
> identify them.
>
> Read more closely, that is your problem!  If you do not re-inventory in
> NetBackup -AND/OR- you put the tape in a slot that was already kept vacant
> for a tape that's in the drive, you're going to have problems.
>
> Justin.

I know exactly that if you dont inventory and put tapes in you are going
to have problems. I think you need to read more closely.

What i am saying is Operators do this while jobs are still running. Im
200 miles away supporting these systems.

Now as tapes cannot be moved back into the correct slots, as ops staff
have filled them, they stay in the drive. If i have a job still running
then i have 4 tapes in use. How do i know which ones are being used by
that job from the command line. i know vmoprcmd will show which tapes
are in which drives but thats not what i require.

Thanks