Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Username

2007-05-08 14:12:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Username
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 11:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm setting up this new Sun StorEdge 5320 and I'm trying to figure out
> the username / password issue.  The group owners of the box, don't want
> to have Netbackup using their "root" (Administrator?) password to run
> NDMP backups, and want to create a service account instead.

Okay.

>  Is that possible?

That's not a concern of netbackup.  That's a question for that equipment.

> I don't really manage this box, so I don't know what their
> options are, but generally speaking do I have to configure the username
> in Netbackup when configuring the device host to always be administrator
> and does that have to correspond to their "root" password?  Is it not
> possible to create a service level account with full access, having its
> own password?  A key concern of theirs is changing the root passwords on
> their servers at regular intervals and then having to reconfigure NBU
> each time.

This is a question for the appliance itself.  Netbackup just needs a
username and password that is authorized to the NDMP engine.

Many appliances are stripped-down things and only have a single
password.  So there is nothing other than the full root access.

Other devices may have more smarts for setup.  If you're not running the
box, I suppose you can just ask them for an account that has NDMP access
and see if it works.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com