Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup

2007-05-06 20:55:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Hardware Recommendations for new setup
From: dominik_pietrzykowski at toll.com.au (Dominik Pietrzykowski)
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 10:55:02 +1000

Hi Dale,

I always ask for more than I need so that I can do duplications, have more
downtime and room to grow. I always get requests that are unexpected and
find that some data is not covered. The extra capacity gets chewed up pretty
fast in my experience.

Sounds like you have a manageable environment. I miss my old one a lot, it
used to run smoothly all the time, I would just add new hosts/databases and
that was it.

I believe it's more to do with the OS than anything. My experience is that I
need to multiplex more windows clients than UNIX ones to get the desired
performance. If you are getting good performance then that's fantastic but
if not then it's always a bit of trial and error to get it up to scratch.

With the T2000 I would get the 8 core one, the rest are the misfit 8 cores
that came of the factory floor bad and they sell as 4-6 cores. 8GB of RAM
should be OK but more is always better. You can go up to 32 or 64Gb on those
but it costs a fortune.
The drives are expensive too, they're the new SAS ones which top out at 73GB
right now. One reason I like the V490 but you pay the price. You can get
320GB in them now.
Anyway, I guess you can attach some nice, fast disk trays to them or some
SAN disk. It's up to you I guess ?? Ideally, a fully loaded V890 full of
320GB drives would be a monster, they take the new 15K FCAL drives. I deal
for DSSUs and then stream to tape. But it's very expensive and probably
overkill for you.

Yes, the timeline is a bit short, last time I heard 6.5 was not coming out
until about July/Aug.

Hope it all goes well.

Dom