Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] solaris client version level

2006-12-31 00:31:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] solaris client version level
From: dave-bu at graniteweb.com (David Rock)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:31:42 -0600
* Ed Wilts <ewilts at ewilts.org> [2006-12-30 08:50]:
> On 12/30/2006 12:00 AM, David Rock wrote:
> > * Bobby R Windle <bwindle at wlgore.com> [2006-12-29 22:43]:
> >> Does anyone know how we can confirm what maint pack level we are running
> >> on our Solaris clients. I tried to find this out
> >> before but never got any hits. Is there a version command or something we
> >> can run.
> >>
> >> Running Netbackup Enterprise 5.1 mp6 on media servers.  Backing up all
> >> platforms. Need to find  what version our Solaris clients are on.
> >
> > NetBackup is notoriously bad for figuring out what version you are
> > running.  A couple things you can try are bpcoverage, bpgetconfig or the
> > NCVU http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276337.htm
>
> With a Solaris (or other Unixy) master server, why fight the battle?
> Simply push out new clients out to _all_ of your Solaris clients.
> NetBackup will skip over the clients that are up to date and update
> those that need it.  The update to a Unixy client is trivial and usually
> transparent although I am waiting for the 6.5 release where Symantec has
> done a MUCH nicer job of handling client updates.

That sounds like a great idea.. oh, wait.  I can't use rsh because
that's blocked by the firewall and it's turned off on most of the
clients anyway because it's insecure on many levels (so is ftp).  I can
hack the script to use scp instead, but why should I have to fix
something that should have been done a loong time ago by
Veritas/Symantec?

Sorry, spinal reflex/complaint.  There are so many.  ;-)

I think it's pretty obvious I'm not afraid to hack stupid things to get
them to work right.  Unfortunately, you can also have issues when you
are not the admins of the client systems.  And then there's Windows...

Realistically, the biggest reason for NOT being able to do that is
change control.  Just asking the client what it has does not involve two
days of justifcation and meetings about why you want to update clients.
:-(

So, one more plea for someone at Symantec to get off their behinds and
actually UPDATE the $!@#@! version strings, please!!

I'm going to stop beating the dead horse, now.

Happy New Year, everyone (yes, even the folks at Symantec).  I do
realize trying to make something as big as NBU work is a pain. :-)

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com