Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] solaris client version level

2006-12-30 09:50:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] solaris client version level
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:50:22 -0600
On 12/30/2006 12:00 AM, David Rock wrote:
> * Bobby R Windle <bwindle at wlgore.com> [2006-12-29 22:43]:
>> Does anyone know how we can confirm what maint pack level we are running
>> on our Solaris clients. I tried to find this out
>> before but never got any hits. Is there a version command or something we
>> can run.
>>
>> Running Netbackup Enterprise 5.1 mp6 on media servers.  Backing up all
>> platforms. Need to find  what version our Solaris clients are on.
>
> NetBackup is notoriously bad for figuring out what version you are
> running.  A couple things you can try are bpcoverage, bpgetconfig or the
> NCVU http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/276337.htm

With a Solaris (or other Unixy) master server, why fight the battle?
Simply push out new clients out to _all_ of your Solaris clients.
NetBackup will skip over the clients that are up to date and update
those that need it.  The update to a Unixy client is trivial and usually
transparent although I am waiting for the 6.5 release where Symantec has
done a MUCH nicer job of handling client updates.

    .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org