Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 6.0 Server OS choice

2006-11-16 20:44:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.0 Server OS choice
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:44:41 -0600
On 11/16/2006 4:46 PM, Rajmund Siwik wrote:
> I have Sun Fire v40z server which will be my NetBackup server.
>
> It will be connected to Adic i2000 library with LTO-3 drives.
>
> My backups in most part will be ndmp from NetApp.
>

> What OS would be better?
>
> Solaris or Linux RedHat?

Solaris.  Veritas supports both, but you do have to look carefully at
which options are supported on which platform.

RHEL is fairly new to Veritas and I would expect that long-term, Solaris
won't be as popular and Linux will take over (so says the man with the
RHCE!) but for now, I think Veritas still develops and tests on Solaris
first and then ports & validates it all on other Unixes.

Our main environment is on Solaris but we do have a smaller satellite
office with a RHEL master (there's no other Unix at that site).  It just
went into production so I don't have much experience with it for the
gotchas yet.  We do know that tuning information seems to be bit harder
to locate than for Solaris.  I think that will be expected for a while yet.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA