Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Aptare gotchas?

2006-11-16 20:27:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Aptare gotchas?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:27:27 -0600
On 11/16/2006 2:53 PM, Tschida, Tom (STP) wrote:
> I do have a follow-up question though.  Is anyone using a VMware server
> for the Aptare installation?

Hi Tom,

It's important to realize that this is an Oracle-based application.  You
don't buy the Oracle license (it's bundled into the product), but it's
still there.  It's going to use a bunch of memory (2-4GB) and it can
occasionally use a lot of CPU depending on the queries that the clients
send.  Aptare loves Java and although they try to make it efficient,
Java still sucks.  I have seen the box pegged on more than one occasion.

There's no reason why you can't make it work in a virtual machine, but
it's not the type of application that I would personally put on one.

We have it running on a standalone DL360 with 2 CPUs and 3GB (I think)
of memory.  We have on the order of 300 NBU clients.

StorageConsole has the option to collect file information for individual
clients.  That throws a different wrinkle into the mix on how big of a
box you run it on.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA