Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What is cumulative incremental???

2006-08-16 15:13:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What is cumulative incremental???
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:13:21 -0400
I don't know what to tell you regarding why you're getting a 74Gig Delta
between Sunday and Monday, but if you are doing a cumulative incremental
and expecting 4Gig a day, then what you should expect, after that
initial 74Gig delta, is subsequent backups of:

Monday 74Gig,
Tuesday 78Gig
Wednesday 82Gig
Thursday 86Gig

etc, untill the next FULL, as each cumulative looks back to the last
FULL for a baseline.

if you only want to backup the delta of each individual day, ie:
Sunday, 120Gig
Monday 4 Gig
Tuesday 4 Gig
Wednesday 4 Gig

then you want to use the differential incremental type.

granted, if there's something accessing the disk and updating the
archive bit, causing that 74Gig jump, you might end up with

Sunday 120 Gig
Monday 74 Gig
Tuesday 74 Gig
Wednesday 74 Gig