Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup 5.1 issue

2006-08-14 09:42:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup 5.1 issue
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:42:17 -0400
if you do a "full restore", the process is:

1: restore all data from Full
2: restore all data from Monday
3: restore all data from Tuesday
4: restore all data from Wednesday.

There is no logic there to figure out that a file that existed on
Tuesday no longer exists on Wednesday.

ie, the restore of Wednesday's data doesn't look at the target dir and
say "oh, that file wasn't there when my backup ran, so I should delete
it."

you will frequently get files "reappearing" when you do a full restore
of all the incrementals over a couple days.

the only way to get around that, as far as I understand, is to use TIR,
which if I understand correctly, will preprocess the data from all the
backups and determine exactly what needs to be restored to get the
system to a "Point in time" state, as of the time when the most recent
selected image was taken.

Paul