Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring entire servers (Windows)

2006-08-02 06:33:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring entire servers (Windows)
From: spe08 at co.henrico.va.us (Spearman, David)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 06:33:20 -0400
Tim,

Windows is the easiest restore in the entire venue. From scratch, load
the OS (patched to whatever level your version of NBU requires) and
leave it in the workgroup mode with a workgroup having the same name as
the domain it was in. Load the nbu agent, partition the drive, then do a
FULL resore, reboot, done. I have actually done this across disimiliar
platforms, albeit you have to be a bit tricky. In short we will never
waste money on windows bmr, it's just to easy to do it the old fashioned
way. The only caveats are
1. Domain Comtrollers require a reboot into domain controller restore
mode
2. NB5.1 mp2 had a major bug with w2k3. Just make sure you are higher
(or lower) than that.