Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] status 1 (was: Typical success rates?)

2006-06-30 03:13:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] status 1 (was: Typical success rates?)
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 03:13:23 -0400
> Exclude the "1"'s as I dont class them as failures :-)

Which might be why NetBackup defines stat 1 as "partial success" _and
keeps the image_.  Final status <= 1 yields a restorable image; status >
1 does not (archives excluded).  I think we agree that stat 1 beats the
heck out of stat > 1.

That said, Operations can not accept a stat 1 without investigation.
What is a status 1--is it one of the 15-odd conditions in the Status 1
section of the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide?  Is it "just another
goofy Windows busy perfdat file?"  The definition Ops must apply is "of
all the files which were to be backed up, some were and some were not."

Example A:
Files to be backed up (seletion minus excludes plus includes:  1,000,000
Files backed up:  999,999
Files not backed up:  1

Example B:
Files to be backed up (seletion minus excludes plus includes:  1,000,000
Files backed up:  1
Files not backed up:  999,999

Hence the BBP requirement that intelligence, artificial or human, be
applied to stat 1s every time.