Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] whats wrong with my calendar based backup

2006-06-15 07:18:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] whats wrong with my calendar based backup
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 06:18:16 -0500
On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 03:40:25AM -0400, bob944 wrote:

> > Support had me stop Netbackup and remove the file and then start
> > Netbackup.  I was told it would recreate that "pempersist"
> > file.  It did
> > recreate the file but did not help get my fulls to run.  I was using
> > nbpemreq -predict -date XX/XX/XXXX XX:XX:XX with different dates and
> > times to try and forecast what would run.  I was very careful
> > to use the
> > -updatepolicies after any changes I made.  This is important to note
> > since there is a small possibility that some of the errors I saw after
> > the initial failure was from the nbpemreq command.  I tried
> > to wait and
> > see if the fulls ran at all, but after making a few changes
> > such as the
> > pempersist and waiting a week and then trying something else, I had to
> > change my policies in order to have data backed up.
> >
> > I was always able to manually run the policy.  Which I did for all
> > affected policies when I discovered the issue.
>
> Jonathan, I duplicated your symptoms today.
>
> Took a Solaris 9 NetBackup 5.1MP4 lab server, added the simplest
> possible policy to it with a frequency-based schedule and over-midnight
> window.  Copied that to a new policy and changed only the freq attribute
> to calendar (more on this later).  Made several variants of cal- and
> freq-based, but that's not important here.  Anyway, ran them both from
> bpbackup -i and they worked fine.
>
> Upgraded the server to 6.0MP2.  All good running immediate backups.  But
> the calendar-based ones (new copy, with no "immediate" history) don't
> run by the scheduler.  Hmmm.

Consider yourself lucky.  We've had nothing but grief since upgrading to
6.0MP2.  Even frequency-based backups were't scheduling properly.  We've
applied several engineering bundles, spent countless hours on the phone
with engineering, and we're getting better but I don't think we're all
the way to success yet.  Lots of vault problems too.  We had to
de-activate all of the policies and re-activate them to wake them up to
run once but it's still requiring a lot of baby-sitting and praying.

This feels more like a beta 2 release than an MP2 release.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org