Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Ethernet port aggregation for performance

2006-03-31 10:41:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Ethernet port aggregation for performance
From: john AT widescreen DOT org (John Berger)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:41:05 -0500
We attempted to do this where I work using Sun Trunking v1.3 in order
to increase the speed between our backup server and our data
warehouse, which holds over 4 TB of data.  Sun Trunking will only
work for increasing backup speeds if you are backing up multiple
servers simultaneously.  If you are trying to increase speed just to
back up one primary system, it will not work because all of the
options in Sun Trunking are still based on MAC address - one trunk
per MAC.  (Sun's engineers confirmed this for me.)  So, if you're
looking to increase the speed between one server and your backup
server, Sun Trunking will not do anything.

The only thing that I could do given our particular configuration is
split the work between two "hosts" (two network interfaces on both
the backup server and data warehouse on different subnets) and create
two policies with two different host names (both being different
interfaces on the same server) to run simultaneously.  It might be a
bit confusing during a restore, not that we need to do that
frequently, but it's decreased our backup time by about 40%.  That
alone is worth the unorthodox method that I used.