Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Weird tape drive behavior

2006-03-23 21:54:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Weird tape drive behavior
From: mb AT unixusa DOT com (Mickey Baker)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:54:16 -0500
Hi, Young,

Is there anything in /var/adm/messages? I'll bet there's a bit more detail
about the nature of the error, if it's something returned from the drive or
driver.

You might want to use robtest to make sure the library robot can move tapes
around and that it puts tapes in the correct drives.

After you've eliminated a bad tape (media) and you're absolutely sure that
everything is setup correctly, it is likely a hardware issue. Try swapping
the drives around to see if the problem moves. (Assuming scsi direct
attached drives).

Have fun solving the problem and let us know what you find.

Mickey