Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Performance Tuning NBU 5.1

2005-12-15 11:25:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Performance Tuning NBU 5.1
From: MarkP AT spectralogic DOT com (Mark Pinder)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:25:12 -0700
Hi Simon,
        I'm glad you are seeing a performance boost by moving to Fibre. It
certainly helps in most cases. How you tune NBU will have as much to do with
your server as with your Library/Drive Hardware.
        What kind of drives are you using? I know that AIT-3 drives run at
12MB/sec. if you are doing a lot of image files or other uncompressible data,
you've arrived at the best you will see for this technology.
        The obvious things I can think to check are 1) the block size you are
using to write to tape, 2) the size of the NBU buffers on your hosts and 3) the
number of these buffers. These three factors will greatly impact the data
throughput to your drives.
        There is also the matter of how fast can your systems rip data off
disk. If your disk system can only rip data at 12.5 MB/sec, then you are
already maxed out. If you are in a *nix world, you can try dd-ing from disk to
/dev/null to test your disk system.
        This link will take you to a doc describing tuning parameters for LTO-2
drives with NBU 5.0. We have our customer's use this same info for LTO-3 drives
and for all versions of NBU.

        I hope this helps.

Mark Pinder :
Systems Engineer: