Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: Oracle Backup

2005-11-09 10:30:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: Oracle Backup
From: cballowe AT gmail DOT com (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 09:30:40 -0600
To use BLIB you need to also buy Advanced Client and Veritas Storage
Foundations for Oracle. It's got a hefty upfront price tag.

If you buy the oracle agent and go straight to tape, you could start
doing level 0 backups once a week and level 1 every night (basically a
cumulative incremental) that operates at the database block level
rather than the file level. These still take a while - they have to
scan every block in the database to check the header for the last
change.

What BLIB buys you is that the filesystem keeps track of the changed
blocks, so rather than reading every block header to check the
sequence number, it goes to the filesystem and says "what blocks
changed?". Aparently, oracle 10g has added a feature where the
database will do this for itself. Unfortunately, I haven't played with
that so I couldn't say for certain.

-Charlie