Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Alternatives backups for small files

2005-07-08 08:23:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Alternatives backups for small files
From: sakumarin AT yahoo.co DOT in (Arun K Sadaram)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 05:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
--0-327423701-1120825422=:84673

Hi,

I have got some 6 million files on my AIX 5.1 box, taking hours to backup. I
understand this is the issue with too many small files.

As Veritas do not support Flash backup on AIX 5.1 media server, we are now
trying out for alternatives. Is there any one who tried out this? pls share
your views.

What happens if the AIX production LUNS are exported to other UNIX or Windows
media servers. If the same LUN (containing AIX JFS file system) is exported and
seen by both hosts: one AIX and one non-AIX host. The non-AIX system will never
mount it but always accesses it as raw device for NetBackup RAW backup. The
non-AIX machine should not do damage to the AIX production LUNs when
recognizing the LUN.

Kind Regards

-Arun

Have a great day!!

---------------------------------
 Sell on Yahoo! Auctions  - No fees. Bid on great items.
--0-327423701-1120825422=:84673

<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix
= o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have
got&nbsp;some&nbsp;6 million files on my AIX 5.1 box, taking hours to backup. I
understand this is the issue with too many small files. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">As Veritas do not support
Flash backup on AIX 5.1 media server, we are now trying out for alternatives.
Is there any one who&nbsp;tried out this? pls share your
views.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">What happens if the AIX
production LUNS are exported to other UNIX or Windows media servers<SPAN
class=grame>.</SPAN>&nbsp;If the same LUN (containing AIX JFS <SPAN
class=spelle>file system</SPAN>) is exported and seen by both hosts: one AIX
and&nbsp;one&nbsp;non-AIX host. The non-AIX system will never mount it but
always accesses it as raw device&nbsp;for NetBackup RAW backup. The non-AIX
machine should not do damage to the AIX production <SPAN
class=spelle>LUNs</SPAN> when recognizing the LUN.<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Kind
Regards<o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:
Arial">-Arun</SPAN></P><BR><BR>Have a great day!!<p>
                <hr size=1> <a
href="http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTE0bG4ybmRjBF9TAzk1OTQ5NjM2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFnBHNsawNhdWN0aW9ucw--/SIG=10vb8ief1/**http%3a//auctions.yahoo.com/";>Sell
 on Yahoo! Auctions </a> - No fees. Bid on great items.
--0-327423701-1120825422=:84673--