Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Summary: (Sort of) Who calculates incremental data

2005-07-08 07:44:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Summary: (Sort of) Who calculates incremental data
From: ewilts AT ewilts DOT org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 06:44:10 -0500
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 06:16:13AM -0400, Bobby Williams wrote:
> My problem (incrementals were missing files) were created by a specific list
> of files being moved under several directory levels.  They should not have
> been skipped, but there were several strange things going on during the time
> of the skipping.

One interesting case we saw was that files were being gzipped on a
Unix client.  gzip by default will set the timestamp of the gzip'ed file
to be that of the first file in the archive.  We were happily skipping
the gzip'ed files in our incrementals because they were setting the
dates in the past - before the last incremental.  A simple touch in the
script that did the gzip'ing fixed that.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org