Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...

2004-10-21 16:33:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...
From: tech2187 AT yahoo DOT com (K Chapman)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
> On Thursday 21 October 2004 11:26, Kevin Freels
> wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > We're running NB 4.5_FP6 on a Sun E-250. One of
> the two procs no
> > longer shows up in prtdiag, and I've swapped it
> out with other procs
> > from salvage systems we have lying around but to
> no avail. I'm
> > assuming that we'll probably have to replace the
> motherboard if we
> > stay with Sun.
> >
> > Of course, changing the MoBo means that the hostid
> will change, and
> > the licenses won't match. This seems like a
> no-brainer as I can have
> > Veritas just re-issue the licenses. However, like
> the man said, not
> > everything is as it seems.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone out in NetBackupLand has
> had some experience
> > with swapping out MoBo's and/or changing hostid's
> (and licenses) and
> > if there are any undocumented caveats I should
> beware of. We're also
> > thinking that this might be the sign from above
> that we should make a
> > move to a Linux server we've been contemplating;
> if there's anyone
> > with war stories about a Sun-to-RedHat migration,
> I'd be interested
> > in those, too.

veritas vxvm and vxfs (cluser and edition lines too)
ely on hostid's, as i recall netbackup does not.  i
replaced my old 220r master with a 480 and used the
same keys without issue.  ive opened tickets against
the old and new servers and veritas has never said anything.

=====
aaarrrggghhh!!!!
FreeBSD rocks