Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...

2004-10-21 13:26:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...
From: KFreels AT askjeeves DOT com (Kevin Freels)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:26:40 -0700
Greetings!

We're running NB 4.5_FP6 on a Sun E-250. One of the two procs no longer
shows up in prtdiag, and I've swapped it out with other procs from
salvage systems we have lying around but to no avail. I'm assuming that
we'll probably have to replace the motherboard if we stay with Sun.

Of course, changing the MoBo means that the hostid will change, and the
licenses won't match. This seems like a no-brainer as I can have Veritas
just re-issue the licenses. However, like the man said, not everything
is as it seems.

Just wondering if anyone out in NetBackupLand has had some experience
with swapping out MoBo's and/or changing hostid's (and licenses) and if
there are any undocumented caveats I should beware of. We're also
thinking that this might be the sign from above that we should make a
move to a Linux server we've been contemplating; if there's anyone with
war stories about a Sun-to-RedHat migration, I'd be interested in those,
too.

As always, thanks in advance....

....k
Kevin Freels                         kfreels AT askjeeves DOT com
Senior UNIX SysAdmin                          510.985.7444
Ask Jeeves                                         ask.com
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."