Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] W2K3 clients / slow backups

2004-05-18 15:23:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] W2K3 clients / slow backups
From: KFreels AT askjeeves DOT com (Kevin Freels)
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:23:05 -0700
Greetings!

I searched the archives, but couldn't find an answer to this. I'm sure
someone else must have gone through this, tho.

We're running NB4.5_FP6 on a Sun Ultra-250. I just installed the
W2K3_FP6 client on a W2K3 system, but the backups are *extremely* slow.
They start out as 5Mb/sec, but within a couple hours, it's slowed down
to a paltry 50Kb/sec or less according to the detailed status. After 16
hours, it's only at 3,000 files and about 4.5Gb of backed up data.  At
the rate it's going, a full backup (+/- 60Gb) will take *weeks*, not
hours.

I am backing up the System_State and one of the drives, with a few
excludes on the drive.

The server itself doesn't seem to be overloaded, no processes are really
that dominant, and the load is under .25 for the most part. I suspect it
might be a config issue beyond the default settings in the Win box, but
I have yet to find anything to outline better settings or things to try.

Any help/answers/clues would be *greatly* appreciated!!! Thanks in
advance!

....k
Kevin Freels                         kfreels AT askjeeves DOT com
Senior UNIX SysAdmin                          510.985.7444
Ask Jeeves                                         ask.com
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."