Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup FP vs MP can they be mixed?

2004-02-05 23:06:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup FP vs MP can they be mixed?
From: Penelope.Carr AT veritas DOT com (Penelope Carr)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:06:52 -0500
I apologize for my earlier comment it was not 100% accurate, thanks Rob for
pointing that out :O).  I do not want to give any customer wrong
information.  Too many long nights I guess .......

I have snipped the gospel from the 5.0 manual which tells it all.

Starting with NetBackup DataCenter 4.5, mixed patch-level versions of 4.5
were
supported. These same rules have been carried forward to NetBackup 5.0. This
type of
support enables NetBackup servers to run a mixture of NetBackup major
releases and
patches in the same environment. In past versions, such as NetBackup 3.4,
all master and
media servers were expected to be at the same patch level. However, because
of large
backup environments and rigid customer change control procedures, there was
great
demand for incrementally upgrading production backup environments. For
example,
with this release of NetBackup a customer can have the following in their
environment
and have all managed by one master server:

- A master server running NetBackup 4.5 FP3
- Another server running NetBackup 4.5GA
- Another server running NetBackup 4.5 MPx
- Another server running NetBackup 4.5 FPx

The basic rules for a mixed-server environment are as follows:
- In a mixed environment such as this, and to avoid version conflict and
resulting
problems, it is imperative to have the master server at the highest revision
in your
configuration.
- A master server can inter-operate with a media server that is running a
level of
NetBackup that is one major release lower. In addition, installing NetBackup
5.0 on a
master server, then allows a media server to be upgraded to NetBackup 5.0.
For example, a master server running a 5.0 level of NetBackup can
inter-operate with
a media server running any 4.5 level of NetBackup.
- No media server may have a numerically higher version than the master
server. The
media servers must be running equal or lower levels of NetBackup.
For example, a master server running NetBackup 4.5 FP6 in an environment can
inter-operate with media servers running 4.5, 4.5 MP2, and 4.5 MP5.
- VERITAS has typically supported NetBackup clients running at different
patch/pack
levels or at a previous release (for instance NetBackup 4.5 client can be
supported
using a NetBackup 5.0 server).