Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing tape drive paths

2004-01-21 16:00:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing tape drive paths
From: Rockey.Reed AT veritas DOT com (Rockey Reed)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:00:00 -0800
Justin,

Don't mess with turning the compression off on the tape drive.   If the data
is already compressed the tape drive will not affect it.  You gain nothing
and make management a nightmare if you try to work with compression on/off
depending on the backup policy.  However, if you insist on doing a bn/cbn
configuration, I recommend having two or more drives and configure one
without compression, put it in a separate storage unit and use that STU for
the backup of the file system.

HTH,
Rockey