Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Confused about multiple data streams.

2003-11-08 22:12:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Confused about multiple data streams.
From: adam AT tsatech DOT com (adam AT tsatech DOT com)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 21:12:03 -0600
Hi all,

I am new to Netbackup and I thought I understood exactly how multiple data
streams worked.

I have a new policy with (2) clients and the file list include /home, /apps,
and /u01.  No multiplexing and Multiple data streams is enabled.  The max jobs
per client has been chaged to (4) and the max concurrent drives per backup on
the STU is set to (2) since I have a 2/20 library.

File List
NEW_STREAM
/home
NEW_STREAM
/apps
NEW_STREAM
/u01

Yes, /home, /apps and /u01 are all on their own separate disks.

When the policy executed the Activity Monitor shows (6) jobs with (2) being
active for client1. Example (policy ran for the first time on newly labeled
tapes).

6 BACKUP QUEUE .... CLIENT2 ....
5 BACKUP QUEUE .... CLIENT2 ....
4 BACKUP QUEUE .... CLIENT2 ....
3 BACKUP QUEUE .... CLIENT1 ....
2 BACKUP ACTIVE .... CLIENT1 ....
1 BACKUP ACTIVE .... CLIENT1 ....

However when I look at DETAILS for JOBID 1, it says it is mounting tape A00008
to write /home, and when I look at details for JOBID 2, it says it is mounting
tape A00007 to write /apps.  Then it seems to grab either tape A00007 or
A00008 to backup /u01 (which ever becomes available first).  Is this the
normal behavior?  I thought that a policy like this would only use one drive
and put everything to a single tape.

Does using multiple data streams necessarly means backing up to all available
drives at the same time?  It seems to me sort odd since this behaviour would
mean that parts of the backups are split up to different tapes and to restore
would require more than one tape.

Am I doing something wrong?  Will reducing Max No. Concurrent Drives Per
Backup on the STU to 1 prevent this from happening?  Will this setting never
use the second disk for backups if a backup is running and another policy
kicks off?

I was under the impression that each individual policy that runs means that it
would use only one available drive per policy.  For example if Policy 1 was
running and policy2 would kick off, it would use disk 2, etc..

Thank you all for your guidance and patience.

-Adam

This mail sent through Toaster-Horde (http://qmailtoaster.clikka.com/)