Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drives keep going down upon use on Solaris 8 master server after upgrade

2003-08-28 15:47:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drives keep going down upon use on Solaris 8 master server after upgrade
From: veritaslist AT mailmgr DOT com (veritaslist AT mailmgr DOT com)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:47:56 -0700
Hi, last week, I configured my drives from the OS (solaris 8) through NBU
(datacenter) and everything was happy. Yesterday, I installed the most recent
8_Recommended patch set. Everything looked OK and I left it. Today, I notice
that the drives go down every time I try to use them through NBU. When I kick
off a job, I get this error:
Aug 28 14:41:29 backup1.dmc.org avrd[1912]: Fatal open error on IBMULTRIUM-TD13
(device 1, /dev/rmt/5cbn), errno = 6 (No such device or address), DOWN'ing it

If I drop to the OS level, the drives are there just as they should be
(/dev/rmt entries pointing to /devices/... entries. I have also noticed this:
# mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status
/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address

But, if I do a reconfig reboot the drives are put back in their normal place,
and n sgscan sees the drives where I would expect it to.

This problems was occuring beforehand, but I did also upgrade from NBU
datacenter 4.5GA to 4.5 MP5 today.

Any thoughts? I am stuck and our backups are dead in the water.