Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux Clients

2003-01-17 11:39:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux Clients
From: Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG (Quarantine)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:39:14 -0500
David, sorry I sent this to you twice.  I originally sent it from an account
that's not a member of this list.

First, let me qualify this answer by saying that I am not a *nix admin, and
I haven't run *nix in many years.

To my knowledge, this is a limit of some (many?) versions of *nix on 32-bit
platforms.  A signed 32-bit value is used for off_t on some of these OSes,
hence you can only express an offset of about 2GB.  The response to this
problem is large file support (LFS).

If you're wondering about backup files being larger than 2GB, change your
maximum fragment size in the storage unit definition.  This setting was
added primarily for backups to disk storage units on Unix filesystems.  I
realize you're a frequent contributor to this list and probably already know
that part.  Just throwing it in in case some others don't know.  :-)

Hope this helps,
Matt