Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO servers in one policy

2002-11-19 14:39:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO servers in one policy
From: Gary Losito" <gary AT losito DOT ws (Gary Losito)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:39:52 EST
Hi

I seem to be having a problem with placing a bunch of media servers in one
policy when each of them have to back up to their own storage device.  I'm
trying to figure out why NBU is not grabbing the proper storage device. I have
4 Solaris servers - two are media (SSO) and two other are clients being backed
up to the master/media.  The problem is that when you specify all of these
servers in one policy, you can only configure one storage unit, instead of one
for each of them.  I've been told to uncheck "On Demand Only" in the storage
unit properties of the associated media servers that are SSO enabled and chose
"Any Available" in the policy.  However, this is not working.  What's happening
is NBU is just grabbing the first storage unit and not switching to the next
one for the following media server.  I've been told to place
"MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE" in the bp.conf, which will tell the media server to only
backup to it's local drive, but this is also not working.  Veritas suppor!
t engineers are also scratching their heads as to why.

Unfortunately, I'm forced to keep these 4 servers in one job with the setting
of "Limit Jobs per policy" to "1" since I need all 4 servers to backup to one
tape only.  I've tried stretching their windows by placing them one after the
other in their own policies, but sometimes one job can take longer than
expected and the rest fail due to it falling out of it's available window.  I'd
be willing to put them back into their own policies so they can backup to their
own storage devices, if someone has another idea on how I can guarantee all 4
servers can back up to that one tape. (BTW the tape does have enough space to
hold all of the 4 server's data).

Thanks in advance,
Gary