Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media positioning takes too long?

2002-08-30 17:51:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media positioning takes too long?
From: jmaley AT macromedia DOT com (Jeff Maley)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:51:25 -0700
I have a couple of solaris hosts that are generating error 24 very soon after
the backup job has started or after a tape change. What I am seeing is that, in
these jobs, its taking the robot (stk l700) ~1:30 to mount the tape and maybe
another 2-2:30 to position. I think that this is simply too long and the
solaris hosts are closing the connection. I am thinking of turning on bptm
logging but I want to know if this is really going to show me anything as it
fills up disk space quickly. Aside from bptm logging, is there another good way
to determine why the mounting/positioning is taking so long? The drives (dlt)
have all been recently cleaned.

jeff maley                          | 415.832.5414
it systems operations        |  415.218.3106 (cell)
::macromedia::                  | jmaley AT macromedia DOT com
http://guru:8080/g0d