Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault Ejecting?

2002-06-25 16:36:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault Ejecting?
From: bblake AT veritas DOT com (Brian Blake)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:36:23 -0400
well this depends on the type of robot you are using...

for tld/tl8 we normally use vmchange <blah, blah, blah> -e...
with nbu 3.4, we found that vmchange, however, would end up moving media into
the offsite volume group even if the eject failed, so we moved to using tlXtest
to do the physical move, and vmchange to update the mm database...
for those robots, check eject_tapes in the ../netbackup/vault/DUPxxx directory
for exact commands...

for tlh/tlm robots, also check eject_tapes... we just do a command line call to
the appropriate robot software (mtlib and dasadmin, respectively)...

for acs robots, we used 2 methods... the old one involved remote shell-ing to
the acsls server and using cmd_proc to physically eject the media... the newer
(better) way involves us using the ACS API which directly makes contact with the
acsls server via sockets/tcpip and calls for an eject...

if the vaults are trying to eject the same media and they run at the same time,
yep, you would have a problem... but i doubt thats it...

if you are ejecting original media (i.e. not doing duplication), then its
probably our filtering mechanism that is filtering out certain media... check
the bpvault.all.output_* file (copied from ../netbackup/vault/production into
the DUPxxx directory after the session is complete) and search for FILTER (all
caps) and then scroll through the log file... it should tell you that it is
either rejecting a particular image (usually because the media on which the
image was written is either already offsite or has newer backups on it than your
date range in the parm file allows)...

if that filtering mechanism is giving you a problem, please contact customer
support and get the latest bpvault patch... we fixed some filtering issues on
our 2nd-to-last patch (P1220), so you may need that...

and if you're still in a bind, call customer support and open a case and one of
our techs can help you out...

b-