Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO drives

2002-05-08 10:27:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO drives
From: jrmajor AT TexasChildrensHospital DOT org (Major, Rusty)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 09:27:56 -0500
I'm a little late, but we also have an HP 20/700 with 8 LTOs running on
Windows 2000 in an SSO environment. We experienced quite a lot of problems
with the HP unit. Eventually, we got them worked out but it took Veritas,
HP, and StorageTek (SAN/Bridges) to work together. It was very painful to
that point, but once that was resolved, it was ok. The issue was a
configuration and firmware issue with the drives and bridges.

Then we later experienced a flaky bridge that caused us trouble
(intermittent down drives, etc) for about 3 months until it was replaced.
The drives seem great, except that we have had about 4 or 5 of them have
gotten a tape physically stuck in the drive, which destroys the tape and
requires the drive to be replaced.

I have one other issue and that's with HPs support. I think if they had the
knowledge one year ago, we wouldn't have gone through so much pain. I think
they are better now, but if I had to decide over again, I'd probably go with
an STK unit (or another one altogether) as the STK support for our SAN and
the bridges is outstanding.

Rusty Major, MCSA
Information Services
Texas Children's Hospital