Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Working on installing NB 3.4 + L9

2002-03-20 19:50:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Working on installing NB 3.4 + L9
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:50:14 -0500 (EST)
Matthew Hall writes:

> Hello there - trying to dig up some more information as I
> work my way through the install.
>
> I have a L9 Tape unit from Sun (Quantum DLT8000). Poking
> through my system, I seem to not have a st.conf entry for
> it - however the machine worked fine with the tape drive +
> Amanda (moving away from that shady lady). Is the st.conf
> entry necessary? What does it give me/do for me?

There's debate on that one.  Personally, I like to *know* how the
drive is set up, not hope the (current) OS defaults work.

> I managed to hunt one down from the archives :
>
> "QUANTUM DLT8000",    "Quantum DLT8000 (in st.conf)", "DLT8k-data";
> DLT8k-data = 1,0x38,0,0x10639,4,0x84,0x85,0x88,0x89,3;

Never seen one without the 0x8000 bit set in the fourth field.  You'll
probably need it if you want decent performance.  Usually this is set
to 0x19639 or 0x1d939.  man st to see the bitmap definitions.

> Just wanted to confirm if this indeed works with other people's
> systems. I'm running NB on the latest Solaris 10/01 + latest
> patch cluster.
>
> Secondly, I managed to play around with it some - it only recognizes
> my L9 as a StandAlone drive. Is that correct? My drive seems
> to be able to recognize barcodes, etc - I assumed it could do more.
> Any way to get NB to recognize the barcodes that are available to
> it?

Presumedly you're trying to add it through the java wizard and the
device does not support serialization.  Try adding the robot and then
the drive (or and then reconfiguring the drive) via another method,
like tpconfig.

> I managed to take my first backup (Yay me) to a volume I created, but
> I have some questions - how do I map the backup to tapes in the
> L9 specifically? I will need to do rotations and what not - would
> help if I knew what tapes to pull.

Become familiar with /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media.

If that's not enough, you'll want to learn the bpimagelist command.

> Now I can't delete that volume, it tells me basically it's still in
> use. How do I get rid of my test backup?

If you're absolutely sure you don't need any previous backups on that
tape, you can use

bpexpdate -d 0 -ev <mediaid>

to change the expiration date of all of the images on it to a really
long time ago.

> Any good newbie-fast+furious tutorials on the web?

The NBU FAQ on www.backupcentral.com is worth a look.

You'll also want to read the Solaris section of the Media Manager
Device Configuration Guide.