Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Working on installing NB 3.4 + L9

2002-03-20 19:48:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Working on installing NB 3.4 + L9
From: leareth AT angui DOT sh (Matthew Hall)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:48:36 -0800 (PST)
Hello there - trying to dig up some more information as I
work my way through the install.

I have a L9 Tape unit from Sun (Quantum DLT8000). Poking
through my system, I seem to not have a st.conf entry for
it - however the machine worked fine with the tape drive +
Amanda (moving away from that shady lady). Is the st.conf
entry necessary? What does it give me/do for me?

I managed to hunt one down from the archives :

"QUANTUM DLT8000",      "Quantum DLT8000 (in st.conf)", "DLT8k-data";
DLT8k-data = 1,0x38,0,0x10639,4,0x84,0x85,0x88,0x89,3;

Just wanted to confirm if this indeed works with other people's
systems. I'm running NB on the latest Solaris 10/01 + latest
patch cluster.

Secondly, I managed to play around with it some - it only recognizes
my L9 as a StandAlone drive. Is that correct? My drive seems
to be able to recognize barcodes, etc - I assumed it could do more.
Any way to get NB to recognize the barcodes that are available to
it?

I managed to take my first backup (Yay me) to a volume I created, but
I have some questions - how do I map the backup to tapes in the
L9 specifically? I will need to do rotations and what not - would
help if I knew what tapes to pull.

Now I can't delete that volume, it tells me basically it's still in
use. How do I get rid of my test backup?

Any good newbie-fast+furious tutorials on the web?

Back to reading docs for me, thanks to any who respond.

--
It's always September somewhere on the 'net. | http://angui.sh
Another proud member of Eep's killfile.      | Unix Sys. Admin.