Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] testing full restores

2002-02-19 13:12:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] testing full restores
From: LeeAnne.Pedersen AT gov.ab DOT ca (Lee Anne Pedersen)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:12:26 -0700
I must be able to successfully restore a complete server from a backup as a
disaster recovery
test. How do I do this?

I have a test server, extremely close in hardware config, but I cannot give the
server the same
name as the backed up server while on the network. The backup includes IDR
info, but I'm not
sure if I can use this to restore to another server with a different name.

My thought is to isolate two servers on their own network. Make one the Master
server,
attach a local tape drive, and restore the NBU catalogues to it, and with the
other, use IDR to
recover the client with the same name as the still-functional, production
client. Will this work,
and does the master server need to be of the same name/IP as the actual master
server?

The network is Windows 2000, with DataCenter 3.4.1 patched to 341_2. All Compaq
hardware,
with a TL891DLX tape library.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,